Famous Lakes in India
- Wular Lake: Wular Lake is one of the largest fresh water lakes in Asia and the largest in India, is located in Jammu and Kashmir. The lake’s size varies seasonally from 30 to 260 square kilometers.It is the largest flood basin of Kashmir in the northern Bandipora district, 34 km north of Srinagar,
- Dal Lake: Dal Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes of India and is the second largest in the J&K valley, is integral to tourism and recreation in Kashmir and is named the “Jewel in the crown of Kashmir” or “Srinagar’s Jewel
“.The lake covers an area of 18 square kilometres.
- Loktak Lake: Loktak Lake is the largest freshwater lake in northeastern India, is located near Moirang in Manipur state.It at a distance of 53 km from Imphal.It serves as a source of water for hydropower generation, irrigation and drinking water supply.
- Chilka Lake: The Chilka Lake is Asia’s largest inland salt-water lagoon and the second largest coastal lagoon in the world, spread over the Puri, Khurda and Ganjam districts of Odisha state on the east coast of India, It is at the mouth of the Daya River, flowing into the Bay of Bengal, covering an area of over 1,100 square kilometres.
- Pulicat lake: It is the second largest saline backwater lake lying along the Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh coast.It was known as “Pralaya Kaveri” Although 90% of the lake falls in Andhra Pradesh, the other 10% comes under Protected Areas of Tamil Nadu.Pulicat Lake is fed by River Kalangi and River Arani.
- Devtal is the highest lake in India, located at a height of 17,745 ft in the Garhwal Himalayas.